Is a steel door not closing correctly? This video shows how to fix when the hinge binds against the rabbet or the stop. *Note – Must use steel shims for fire rated openings.
- 00:24 Preparation
- 00:35 Fixing when the hinge binds against the rabbet
- 01:54 Fixing when the hinge binds against the stop
Do you have a Knockdown steel door frame that’s twisted or out of square? This video shows how to fix them so that the door can operate properly.
The Steel Door Institute (SDI) demonstrates how to install a steel door frame into masonry construction.
- 01:10 Plan for the flooring
- 02:13 Types of frames
- 02:40 Install base anchors
- 03:18 Stand up the frame and align spreader
- 03:40 Set the frame plumb, level, and square
- 05:32 Block laying begins
- 06:00 Insert wire anchors
- 07:11 Completing the installation
Are there uneven gaps between a commercial steel door and frame? This video shows how to fix when the door clearance is too tight at the TOP or BOTTOM lock side of the opening, and when the entire door is shifted too far toward the HINGE or LOCK side of the opening.
- 00:24 Preparation and inspection
- 02:11 Issues that can be corrected with shims
- 02:43 Fixing doors that are too tight at the TOP lock side
- 03:55 Fixing doors that are too tight at the BOTTOM lock side
- 04:11 Fixing doors shifted too far toward hinge side
- 04:37 Fixing doors shifted too far toward lock side
The Steel Door Institute (SDI) demonstrates how to install a steel door frame into steel stud construction.
- 01:02 Use the right anchor
- 01:24 Plan for the flooring
- 02:26 Types of frames
- 03:37 Stand up the frame and align spreader
- 04:03 Install anchors
- 05:08 Insert spreader and set frame plumb, level, and square
- 05:28 Attach steel studs
- 07:53 Drywall is installed
See how commercial fire rated doors are made and tested. Fire rated doors and frames play a vital role in keeping people safe and minimizing property damage during a fire. Hollow metal is the only door material widely available with a 3 hour label.
The Steel Door Institute demonstrates how to install punch and dimple frames (welded or KD) into into masonry construction.
This video shows how to install drywall slip-on door frames with compression anchors.
This video shows how to install a commercial steel door.
- 00:23 Preparation
- 02:11 Hinge Application
- 03:25 Door Installation
- 04:55 Application of Heavy Weight Hinges
- 06:16 Application of Hinges to a Non-handed Door
When choosing a wood door, there are many considerations.
For the highest level of privacy, you can get a panel door which has no glass.
If you want to bring light into your home you can get a sash door which pairs a piece of glass with panels.
For the most natural light, you can get a french door.
Architecturally correct doors have proportional stiles and rails.
Wide layout doors have larger 5-1/2” stiles to accommodate certain locking mechanisms.
Reverse layout doors switch the intermediate and bottom panels, as well as lock rail and bottom rail, for a different look.